Thursday, February 10, 2011

No Reserves, No Retreats, No Regrets

 William, at his birth in 1887, was the heir of a million dollar family fortune. He came to Christ at an early age. William went to Yale University. He renounced the fortune so he could become a missionary to the Muslims in China. One friend exclaimed that William was throwing away his life. To this William wrote in his Bible "No Reserves". After Yale he was offered many jobs. He turned them all down. He added the words "No Retreats". In 1812 he set sail for China. He had to stop in Egypt to study Arabic. After four months there he contracted spinal meningitis and within a month he was dead. He died at the age of 25. On the back page of his Bible was found two more words, "No Regrets". When his life was over he could say,
                                                  "No Reserves, No Retreats, No Regrets."


3 comments:

BB. said...

Hi Carissa,

I don't mind if you start doing Verse day on your blog, I actually want to start doing a blog hop...I think that's what they're called...I'll try to do that this Monday.

Bethany K. :)

thesemperfisisters said...

Great job Carissa! Here are some missionary biographies that I read and like:
Gladys Aylward, she was a missionary in China.
Lottie Moon, also in China.
Jonathan Goforth: China.

My sister read Corrie ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den. She wasn't a missionary, but she and her sister helped a lot of Jews during World War II. Because of that they were also put in concentration camps.

Joyfully in Jesus,
Abigail

Carissa said...

Thanks for telling me about some missinaries to do my post on, Abigail. Thanks for letting me do verse day, Bethany. What is a blog hop?

Carissa