Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Nationals ~ Part 2

Thursday, November 14th, was the day of preliminaries  The day we contestants were looking forward to with lots of nervous excitement. David and I got up had breakfast (a tiny breakfast by the way :D), and headed to the convention center for our preliminaries. The first part was the written test. That took about 1 hour and 30 minutes. The written test is 200 questions in an hour. The test itself was hard but I came out of thinking that I had done well. When our test finished Amy and Bethany along with the other seniors went to take their test. Half of the preliminaries were over *whew*. We had a break for about thirty minutes before our orals, in which we talked to our good friends the C. family and several others. Then we went and did the oral rounds. I had a great time talking to Hannah T., Kaylee T. and Rebekah T (they aren't sisters :D). This year we did not do our orals in individual rooms instead we did it in little "rooms" in a great big room. The "rooms" were enclosed with curtains and were thirty feet in all directions from the next "room". The noise did not bother me much which I am very thankful for. After both test and orals were over David and I went out to lunch with the C. family. We spent the remainder of the day...until 6:00...spending time with friends. It was a very fun day :D At 6:30 all the contestants went to the processional room where we lined up in height order in each division. The seniors then left to go and get their medals while the juniors lined up. It was fun talking to you, Audrey and Elizabeth A. Then we juniors went up on stage and received our medals. After the juniors came the primaries. After all of the age divisions received their medal we listened to some music composed by Mr. K. It was called "To the King Eternal" and many of our friends sung in the choir. After the singing the moment had come which we had all been waiting for. The semi-finalists were announced and to my great disappointment none of our names were called. Daddy had us each choose a verse beforehand to think on if we didn't make it to semi-finals and I thought on Psalm 13:5-6 ~ "But I have trusted in your steadfast love, my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord because he has dealt bountifully with me." That verse was great encouragement to me as I thought back over the last 6 months of studying God's word. The Lord HAD dealt VERY bountifully with me. Afterwards we talked to many friends and had a great time. Each year at nationals we get program books that has an extra page for friends to write little notes. One friend wrote this note that really encouraged me, "God was glorified through you. Keep glorifying Him." Thank you, Anna M., for all your encouragement to me.

Friday was the day of semi-finals and we watched all of them. It was wonderful hearing the verses being quoted. I did feel sad because I was not up there but God helped me.


JJ C. doing the bouncy slide with Everett, David and Ellia
(I did it once but it didn't go that well :D)


David on the bouncy slide


Everett on the bouncy slide


Ellia on the bouncy slide


The Junior semi-finalists praying before they go up on stage


Bethany X., it was SO greet seeing you again!


















Rionna F., it was great talking to you again!

I don't have any pictures of the primary or senior semi-finalists. You can see more pictures if you click here.

2 comments:

Lois said...

I like the verse you picked to encourage yourself if you didn't make it to the semi-finals. I would have been disappointed as well if I didn't make to the semi-finals. Can't wait until you post part 3!

Lily Marie said...

I think this would be such a neat experience! Thanks for sharing! :)